If you think you’re one in a million there are six thousand other people exactly like you.
How many blogs do you think are out there?
1. What are the ‘unwritten rules’ about copying content that we bloggers should all abide by?
If you copy someone, then link to the post you copied or were inspired from. Now, you shouldn’t completely rip off what they did and slap it on your blog. You can get the idea from them and then do your own leg work and write your own words.
2. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. But when is a post imitation and when is it copying?
It’s imitation when you see something and said hey, I’m gonna make that my own. It’s copying when you plagiarize or even just mirror everything they did exactly. Be creative!
3. Taking another blogger’s idea (perhaps for an outfit, or DIY tutorial) is pretty common in the blogging world. Do you think it is necessary to credit the original source?
If you actually copied them, then yes. What’s it going to hurt to put a simple link back to their blog/post? Nothing. At the same time, I think we all tend to get a little overexcited thinking our ideas are so original when in reality someone some where has probably already done it. An example that pops into my mind is the whole using an umbrella as a prop. I’ve seen bloggers pose with an umbrella for years. It’s nothing new, and frankly, it wasn’t even original for the first person who did it. Don’t we all use umbrellas on rainy days? I think in this great big world it’s easy to unknowingly “copy” someone else. I think we should just label it a coincidence and move on. That being said, I do think that there are those out there that do rip off ideas and try to pass it off as their own. It happens.
4. How have you improved your blog by comparing it to other blogs? Have you made changes due to something you have seen others doing?
I love how Fashion Toast takes her outfit photos in landscape versus portrait. I think it adds a fun edge to the pictures and I’ve kind of internalized that into my own photos. Other than that I mostly get my ideas from articles on ProBlogger and IFB.
5. Have you ever had one of your posts copied by another blogger or publication? How did you handle the situation?
I’ve been lucky enough to always have the blogger/publication link back to my site. Fingers crossed it stays that way!
© 2010, ChiqueChic. All rights reserved. On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.