1. Do you think fashion blogs are often just conspicuous consumption (the lavish spending on goods and services acquired mainly for the purpose of displaying income or wealth/social status)? Are some?
I’m sure that there are some out there like that, but those are never fun to read in my opinion. I’ll be honest, I can’t afford many of those things, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to see other people wearing them. I think it comes down to the reason behind it all. You can always tell the difference between someone doing it for recognition or simply because they love fashion.
2. As bloggers do we have the obligation to explain our personal financial status, how we pay for the things we showcase, if we have debt, etc…
Of course not! When did it become socially acceptable to openly talk about finances in front of friends, let alone strangers? Frankly, I don’t think it’s anyone’s business but their own.
3. Critics often say that fashion bloggers should use their money to support more worthwhile causes than clothing themselves in a different outfit daily. What’s your reaction to this?
I think that’s kind of silly. Do these critics also get upset about all the money people drop on technology and video games and other various unneccesary (but fun) items? No. To each their own. Oh, and I do donate my old clothes to Goodwill, so technically I am helping a more worthwhile cause.
4. Since you started blogging, do you spend more money on fashion and beauty products?
I actually think I spend a lot less now. I will admit that I feel more pressure to spend money, though. It’s easy to think, “Oh, I need a new pair of shoes, my readers have seen the ones I have way too many times.” But all in all, I feel more inspired to mix up my wardrobe and try to keep things fresh. I feel like the blogs that do that are much more interesting.
5. Life is about more than what money can buy. What are the things that top your list of what life is all about?
Oh that’s tough because many things come down to money, like food. I would have to say favorable weather, doing favors for others, and having great people in your life. Was that corny enough for you?
Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend! I leave for San Diego before the sun even rises on Monday! I’m so excited!
© 2010, ChiqueChic. All rights reserved. On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.